UTF-8 decoding error

Christian Maeder maeder at tzi.de
Thu Sep 21 04:15:45 EDT 2006

Duncan Coutts schrieb:
> On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 18:14 +0200, Christian Maeder wrote:
>> How can I convince ghc version 6.5.20060919 to accept latin1 characters
>>  in literals?
>>
>> I wish to keep source files (containing umlauts in strings) that can be
>> compiled by either ghc-6.4.2 and ghc-6.6.
>
> You can use numeric escapes like "\222".

How about resolving http://cvs.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/690 ?

I would like to simple add a flag to ghc. How about adding an addional
phase (and extension) to ghc before preprocessing?

Your solution does not support good readability. Is there a ready tool
that converts my source files as you suggested automatically? How does
haddock handle characters in comments?

I'm sort of stuck currently testing ghc-6.6 RC

Christian