ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.6.1

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sat Apr 28 13:58:18 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 17:07 +0400, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> Hello Ian,
>
> Thursday, April 26, 2007, 3:22:23 PM, you wrote:
> >     The (Interactive) Glasgow Haskell Compiler -- version 6.6.1
>
> can you please include in win32 distro c++ compiler, as it was done
> before and as it requested by trac ticket
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/1024 ?

Is it just me who thinks this is a silly idea? Why should GHC include a
C++ compiler? If you want a C++ compiler then install one. Otherwise
where do we stop? why not just chuck in a pascal and java compiler while
we're at it.

The fact that ghc currently uses a C compiler on most platforms makes it
a special case. I believe the plan for windows in future is to not
include a C compiler at all and to always use the native code generator.
So I don't think it makes sense to be adding more bits of gcc when we
plan to remove it entirely in future.

Duncan