wondering about -ddump-parsed, rn

Isaac Dupree isaacdupree at charter.net
Thu Aug 9 10:19:43 EDT 2007

Christian Maeder wrote:
> Isaac Dupree wrote:
>> @@@ a b = ((a + b) : a) + b
>
> Could -ddump-parsed not simply omit these (wrong) left-associative
> parentheses? What information would be lost?

The information about how GHC's parser currently handles infixes.  The
intent of the -ddump-xxx flags (I think) is to give a readable
representation of ghc's internal state, e.g. for debugging.

However it very well might be that omitting those parentheses would
yield a Haskell module equivalent to the original file, which would be a
nice thing to be able to get somehow, anyway.

Isaac