Display problem with ghci (:e) and vim

Peter Ilberg peter.ilberg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 10:14:27 EDT 2007

Hello!

I've noticed an odd display problem with ghci and vim. The problem occurs
with ghci-6.6 and vim-6 on Mac OS X 10.4.9 (Terminal.app and uxrvt in
X11.app) and with ghci-6.2.2, ghci-6.6.1 and vim-7.0 on OpenBSD 4.1 (via
PuTTY from Windows).

1 - Resize your terminal window to 40 lines.
2 - Start ghci.
3 - :set editor vim
4 - :edit File.hs (pick an existing file)

Vim doesn't display the file contents properly in the bottom half of my
terminal window (it doesn't display parts of the file). But it does
correctly display the : command line at the bottom of the screen.

Refreshing the display with Ctrl-L does not help. Infact, it makes things
worse in some cases. Resizing the window with the mouse, or by typing
resize, or by export LINES=40 does not help either.

I don't see this problem under any of these configurations if I use hugs
instead of ghci.

Has anyone noticed this as well? Is there a workaround?
(other than using hugs)

Thanks,

-- Peter