(Compile ghc 6.7) Cannot find package base

Mads Lindstrøm mads_lindstroem at yahoo.dk
Sun Aug 12 04:05:17 EDT 2007

Hi all

I tried compiling ghc 6.7 during the night. I used the following script:

  #!/bin/bash

  rm -rf $HOME/ghc
  darcs get --partial http://darcs.haskell.org/ghc
  cd ghc
  chmod +x darcs-all
  ./darcs-all get
  ./darcs-all --extra get
  sh boot
  ./configure --prefix=$HOME
  echo "Checkpoint make"
  make
  echo "Checkpoint make install"
  make install

but when I run ghci I get:

  GHCi, version 6.7.20070810: http://www.haskell.org/ghc/  :? for help

  <interactive>:1:22:
      Failed to load interface for `System.IO':
        Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.

  <interactive>:1:22:
      Failed to load interface for `System.IO':
        Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.

  <interactive>:1:22:
      Failed to load interface for `System.IO':
        Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.
  ghc-6.7.20070810: panic! (the 'impossible' happened)
    (GHC version 6.7.20070810 for i386-unknown-linux):
          interactiveUI:setBuffering

  Please report this as a GHC bug:  http://www.haskell.org/ghc/reportabug

Is this really a bug or am I doing something wrong?

I also tried:

  ghc-pkg check

and got:

  package ghc-6.7.20070810 has missing dependencies:
      hpc, template-haskell, readline, unix, Cabal, base, haskell98

If anybody is interested I got the complete build logs, but given there
size 2.2 megabytes (180 kilo when compressed with gzip) I choose not to
include them in the message.

Greetings,

Mads Lindstrøm