Status of GHC runtime dependency on GNU multi precision arithmetic library

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Wed Aug 15 14:53:12 EDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 06:41:53PM +0100, Brian Hulley wrote:

> I know this is a sensitive issue and I absolutely don't want to start
> any kind of discussion about the merits or otherwise of LGPL, but I was
> wondering if there are any plans to remove the GNU mp library from the
> runtime

I'll be looking at making it optional once 6.8.1 is out of the way, but
you will need to use a GHC compiled with an alternative; you won't be
able to make a non-GMP program with a GMP GHC.

> (Afaik everything else in ghc is under a BSD3 license.)

Readline isn't, but is already optional, and won't get linked into
programs you write unless you actually use it.

Thanks
Ian