Status of GHC runtime dependency on GNU multi precisionarithmetic library

Bayley, Alistair Alistair_Bayley at invescoperpetual.co.uk
Thu Aug 16 04:06:06 EDT 2007

> From: glasgow-haskell-users-bounces at haskell.org
> [mailto:glasgow-haskell-users-bounces at haskell.org] On Behalf
> Of Stefan O'Rear
>
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/ReplacingGMPNotes
>
> > It's less of an issue on Linux where libgmp is dynamically
> linked but when
> > thinking about using Haskell ghc for creating Windows apps
> it is for me a
> > real problem, because it would mean I'd have to distribute
> the code for my
> > app as a library along with the code as an executable, thus
> doubling the
> > download size for my apps as well as having to include a
> license that has
> > to explain to a possibly non-technical user that although
> the program
> > includes code that is libre/gratis free the program is not
> itself free etc
> > etc...
>
> Huh?  AFAIK the LGPL is only an issue for the commercial/proprietary
> users of Haskell; gratis/libre works would continue to be gratis/libre
> after linking with GMP.

I could be wrong, but I believe that Brian's intention is indeed to
release a commercial/proprietary app, hence it is possibly an issue for
him. I'm not sure about having to distribute the code for his app; I
thought the point of the LGPL license was to allow proprietary
(non-GPL?) apps to link to LGPL libs. Wouldn't he just have to
distribute the code for GMP? But then, I understand less about FSF
licensing than pretty much everyone else on this list, so I'll shut up
now...

Alistair
Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this message,
and any attachments, may contain confidential and/or privileged
material. It is intended solely for the person(s) or entity to
which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination,
or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is