Profiling and class methods

Ravi Nanavati ravi at bluespec.com
Tue Dec 4 22:45:02 EST 2007

One of the smaller nits I noticed when looking at profiles generated
by 6.8.1 (using -prof -auto-all) is that class methods show up as cost
centers named something like "$f5". I can look at the call stack and
figure out that $f5 is probably the call to a particular class method
in a particular location, but I was wondering what it might take to
make that more user-friendly (I'd want to see the class name, method
name and the instance being used in some format, ideally). Is that
information readily available and it is just a matter of making
-auto-all smarter, or is there a reason this would be tricky?

Thanks,

 - Ravi