[Haskell-cafe] class default method proposal

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 11:26:52 EST 2007

Duncan Coutts wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 07:07 -0800, Stefan O'Rear wrote:
>
>> This is almost exactly the
>> http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Class_system_extension_proposal; that
>> page has some discussion of implementation issues.
>
> Oh yes, so it is. Did this proposal get discussed on any mailing list?
> I'd like to see what people thought. Was there any conclusion about
> feasibility?

Ross proposed this on the libraries list in 2005:

http://www.haskell.org//pipermail/libraries/2005-March/003494.html

and I brought it up for Haskell':

http://www.haskell.org//pipermail/haskell-prime/2006-April/001344.html

see also this:

http://www.haskell.org//pipermail/haskell-prime/2006-August/001582.html

Unfortunately the Haskell' wiki doesn't have a good summary of the issues;
it should.  I'll add these links at least.