ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.8.2

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 09:53:47 EST 2007

Juanma Barranquero wrote:
>> %HOME% is the de-facto standard for Unix-like
>> shell applications that were ported to Windows and
>> need a home directory. If someone sets that, it
>> means they want to use the folder in that way. And
>> yes, that is the way GHCi has been working until
>> now, so I think it should still be supported if someone
>> sets it.
>
> Yes.
>
>> Yes, that is a problem. A user who sets %HOME% has
>> indicated that this should be used. I think that should be
>> returned by getHomeDirectory.
>
> Exactly!

I can imagine that you might want GHCi to look in $HOME, for backwards
compatibility.  But do you really want getHomeDirectory to return $HOME?
That's a very un-Windowsy thing to do, and I don't think we ought to be
baking Un*x behaviour into APIs that are supposed to do whatever is native
on the current platform.