ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.8.2

Seth Kurtzberg seth at cql.com
Sat Dec 15 20:56:40 EST 2007

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 03:21:14 +0200
"Yitzchak Gale" <gale at sefer.org> wrote:

> Removing support for %HOME% has suddenly broken many
> programs. If people don't like it, we can consider
> deprecating it in some future version of GHC, but for now
> it should put back. I would say it is quite ironic that some
> people are arguing against this by saying that it will lead
> to more bug reports.
>
> It is *not* "trivial to wrap the function in question", and
> it is not "more correct".

Why is it *not* trivial to wrap the function?  Regardless of whether you like the resulting solution, it is undeniably trivial to change the name of a function, create a new function with the (original) name, and have that new function call the original function, or call the original function based on some criteria, or implement different behavior entirely?  I did so here, and in roughly 10 minutes I verified that the behavior was exactly as one would expect.

Now, you may not approve of the resulting behavior, but that's an entirely separate question of whether something is, or isn't, trivial to implement.  I wrote a few lines of code; certainly seemed trivial to me.

I have a bit more sympathy for your assertion that changing the default behavior is not something to be done lightly, but if a small modification allows you to implement either the old or new behavior, the question becomes what should the default behavior be?  (Or perhaps the *default* behavior?  I've always found that the use of punctuation as a substitute for rational discussion is an attempt to be insulting rather than to enter into a discussion on the merits.

If you believe something is not trivial, then state your reasons.  If you don't have a reason, hold the bluster and the asterisks.

Seth

--
Seth Kurtzberg <seth at cql.com>