ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.8.2

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sun Dec 16 04:56:07 EST 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-16 at 03:21 +0200, Yitzchak Gale wrote:

> The current behavior is not more WIndows native - it is
> arguably much worse. The %HOMEPATH% variable
> should definitely not be used.

It is not.

> The folder that it points to is not a "home directory" and should not
> be used that way. But if there is no other way to provide a value
> for getHomeDirectory, I guess that is still better than throwing a
> run-time exception, but at least obtain the path in a somewhat
> Windows-friendly way by using the API properly.

It does.

It uses SHGetFolderPath with csidl_PROFILE which gets us something like
"C:/Documents And Settings/user".

Note that for data files like the .ghci file it's probably better to use
getAppUserDataDirectory "ghci" which will return $HOME/.ghci on unix
systems and "C:/Documents And Settings/user/Application Data/ghci" on
Windows.

Duncan