whole program optimization

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Dec 24 04:19:24 EST 2007

The GHC API ought to make this relatively easy, but sadly doesn't at the moment.  What you'd want:

- read in each module in turn, typecheck, desugar, perform modest simplification, and keep the resulting Core bindings
- now glom all those bindings together and optimize
- code generate, write out a .o file

There is absolutely no difficulty in principle, but it'd require care.   For example, do we write out one .hi file or many?  If one, what should its name be?  If many, which bindings should end up in which file?  Similarly for the .o file.

How would you control it, so that your multi-module project got compiled in the groups you wanted?  Of course one group would be best, but you might run out of memory...

It'd be an interesting project.  Some transformations (e.g. defunctionalisation) only work if you can guarantee to see the whole program.  But many others should just work better when you can see more of the program at once.

Simon