Thoughts on the design of External Core

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Feb 20 08:39:53 EST 2007

Aaron,

I've digested your msg, and yes on balance I think you are probably right.  Really the only disadvantages of the IfaceSyn route are:

* Need to take more care with errors
* The possiblity that the needs of interface files and the needs of External Core might not be identical.

On the up-side, using IfaceSyn guarantees that it'll stay up to date.

Concerning type checking, the IfaceSyn typechecker does not check that, say, in an application (f x) the type of f is compatible with the type of x.  I urge you *not* to make it check, because that'll make more work even when reading interface files.

Instead,
(1) run the existing tcIfaceExpr stuff (which really amounts to a kind of reader, turning the strings in IfaceSyn into the Ids and TyCons of Core),
(2) run CoreLint to check that the resulting terms are well-typed.

You may need to work on Core Lint's error messages a bit, but it does the right kind of thing.

Let me know how it goes.

Simon