HDirect and GHC-6.6

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Thu Jan 11 07:44:35 EST 2007

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 09:24:40PM +0000, Fernand Lacas wrote:
>    Hello,
>    This is my first post on this mailing list and I hope it will not be
>    too off-topic.
>    My point is that I have worked a little on the porting of the last
>    (0.21) version of HDirect ([1]http://www.haskell.org/hdirect/) to ghc
>    6.6. I succeeded in compiling the ihc.exe (idl compiler) but I'm now
>    stuck on the boot-strapping of the COM library (which is required to
>    have support for Automation).
>    This seems to come >from a new feature of the package management
>    system, which includes the package's name in the interface files
>    (.hi).
>    Alas, on the beginning of this new year (happy new year to you all), I
>    lack time to understand the cabal system to solve this. I've written
>    to the people mentioned in the README (and others), which are supposed
>    to support the library, but got no answer. I assume they are no longer
>    supporting it.
>    Thus, I simply wanted to know if someone on this list, more involved
>    with ghc or haskell's community, would be interested to have the
>    sources files so that, may be in the near future, hdirect could be up
>    to date with ghc, and also that other people could benefit from that
>    small contribution without re-inventing the wheel (my changes are not
>    complex, but rather tedious because I had to track all deprecated
>    libraries, correct a GHC-specific bug).
>    I also think that hdirect build process should be translated to
>    Cabal's setup (it currently uses Makefiles, but the build process is
>    not straightforward, so the adaptation requires a knowledge I do not
>    have of Cabal).
>    Sincerely yours,
>    Samuel
>    P.-S. I do not check this mail on a daily basis, so it is possible I
>    won't answer immediately, but within one or two days.
>    Excuse my french, it is my mother tongue.

Hi Samuel.

I know.
If you want to use hdirect with com support you need some kind of 2
stage build.

I've tried to compile it some time ago and I failed (lack of knowledge
and understanding haskell at that time)..
So you did succeed?

similar to ghc its using a 2 stage build.

I will post a link to this message
on cabal-devel at haskell.org avoiding cross-posting, too

So we have by now 4 packagers having problems with the current cabal
system? wxwidgets, gtk2hs, hdirect and ghc itself?

Greetings Marc