64-bit windows version?

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 03:49:56 EDT 2007

skaller wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 12:23 +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
>> Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
>>> Hello glasgow-haskell-users,
>>>
>>> are you plan to implement 64-bit windows GHC version?
>> The main thing standing in the way of this is the lack of a 64-bit port of
>> mingw.
>
> Why do you need mingw? What's wrong with MSVC++?

We have talked (extensively) about doing a Windows port using the MS tools
instead of mingw.  Check the archives of cvs-ghc, search for "windows native".
There's no problem in theory, but it's a lot of work.  Peter Tanski has done
some work in this direction, he should be able to tell you more.

I don't think we'll be able to drop the mingw route either, mainly because while
the MS tools are free to download, they're not properly "free", and we want to
retain the ability to have a completely free distribution with no dependencies.

There are people that want a Cygwin port too; personally I think this is heading
in the wrong direction, we want to be more "native" on Windows, using the native
object format and interoperating directly with the native Windows tools.