64-bit windows version?

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 04:16:52 EDT 2007

Peter Tanski wrote:

>> skaller wrote:

>>> Why do you need mingw? What's wrong with MSVC++?
>
> The largest problem is the build system: GHC uses autoconf with custom
> makefiles.

So autoconf won't work with MSVC++, that is indeed a problem.  But this doesn't
mean we have to stop using Makefiles and GNU make - the rest of the build system
will work fine, provided it's told about the different conventions for names of
object files etc.  I don't see a compelling enough reason to stop using GNU
make.  The build system doesn't even need to invoke CL directly, since we can
use GHC as a "driver" (isn't this the way we agreed to do it before?).

We use autoconf in a pretty limited way (no automake), so I don't think it will
be hard to work around, even if we have to just hard-code all the configuration
results for Windows.