64-bit windows version?

Chris Kuklewicz haskell at list.mightyreason.com
Sat Jun 23 23:01:17 EDT 2007

Neil Mitchell wrote:
> Hi
>
>> > Don't forget .. Mingw has to be installed too .. and in fact
>> > that is much harder. I tried to install MSYS and gave up.
>>
>> You're kidding right?  There's Windows installer .exes for MinGW and
>> MSYS.  You download it, run it, and click Next a few times.
>
> Its far from that easy! Its loads of steps, and figuring out what to
> download is quite challenging on its own.
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil

I agree with Neil.

I had a non trivial problem understanding what parts of which versions of Mingw
and/or MSYS I should download to get ghc compiling on windows.  I had to try at
least three times before I setup something that works.  And I assert that I am a
competent person.  I think their web site seriously under-explains things from
an outsider's point of view.  But the user base is made up of programmers, so
they obviously are not under pressure to make a clearer site.