GHC 6.6.1 Windows installer, test version

shelarcy shelarcy at gmail.com
Mon May 7 22:45:52 EDT 2007

Hi Neil,

On Tue, 08 May 2007 00:34:10 +0900, Neil Mitchell <ndmitchell at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've prepared a GHC 6.6.1 Windows installer. Before I offer this up as
> an official installer, could people please test it?
>
> http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/6.6.1/ghc-6.6.1-i386-windows-test1.exe

You forgot to include GLUT and readline packages.
I think you can't build these packages, so you don't include it.

This is well-known problem, if build GHC your self.
Because MInGW doesn't have these headers and library files in its directory.

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/glasgow-haskell-users/2006-October/011253.html
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell/2006-December/018919.html

So you must copy these files from old GHC's directory first, and
then building new GHC.

> The new features of this installer (relative to the 6.6 one) are:
>
> * Prettier .hs icons
> * Automatically adds GHC and Cabal binaries to the %PATH%
> * 10Mb smaller (better compression)
>
> Thanks to Duncan for answering installer related questions.

And can you add Installation Mode to your installer?

There is no C++ files in your installer.
But if anyone want to build C++ source code by GHC, he disappoint
about that.

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/glasgow-haskell-users/2007-April/thread.html#12408

On the other hand, if anyone want to install sommaller GHC,
he doesn't want to install unnecessary things.

And we can point out that for other things. For example, we want to
include extra libraries or not, we want to include OpenAL and ALUT
or not (these package can buid only when building GHC now. because
OpenAL and ALUT libraries are built by ccall convention, but these
package use stdcall convention on Windows now. And -fvia-C convert
stdcall to ccall).

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/glasgow-haskell-users/2006-September/011112.html
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/hopengl/2007-March/000715.html

So I think we will become happy, if adding Installation Mode and
maintain that on GHC's darcs repository.

Best Regards,

--
shelarcy <shelarcy    hotmail.co.jp>
http://page.freett.com/shelarcy/