Data.Map in 6.8.1

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 13:10:28 EDT 2007

Hello Serge,

> Now,       make configure
> reports

>  runghc Setup.hs configure --ghc
> --prefix=/home/mechvel/dm/1.06/dm/source/inst
>  Configuring dumatel-1.6...

> In 6.6.1, the report of  runhaskell  looked better, it wrote on the
> screen about  ghc  found in such and such place, and so on.
> Where to see this new report in a more detail?

while GHC developers sleeping/kissing/..., i will try to help you :)

first, it's entirely Cabal-related stuff. Setup.hs just runs cabal
routines. in previous Cabal versions, "setup configure" printed a large
amount of info about various compiling tools found. it was
disappointing for new users especially when Cabal printed what he
doesn't found some rather odd tools (which actually not required to
build modern software). it seems that Cabal developers accepted
suggestions to disable this report by default. sorry, i don't know how
to enable it again, but believe that there is some way to do it. you
should inspect Cabal docs, may be "runghc Setup.hs configure --help"
or "runghc Setup.hs --help" will help

> Dumatel/Prelude5.hs:28:17:
>     Could not find module `Data.Map':
>       it is a member of package containers-0.1, which is hidden

> Should I change something in  dm.cabal ?
> For example, it contains the line

>   build-depends:   base, haskell98

add "containers" here :)  in the 6.8, base lib was split to many
smaller ones

> Where are docs on  ghc-6.8.1 (in particular, release notes) ?

it is not yet released :)))

but it's an chicken-and-egg problem and you, developers that try to
ensure that 6.8 is ok with their problems, may ask Ian to prepare
[premature version of release notes which will help to port programs.
or we can start wiki page to help yourself, in hope that Ian will
merge it contents in final release notes

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com