ANN: prof2dot, a graphical profiling tool

Gregory Wright gwright at comcast.net
Wed Apr 2 02:17:40 EDT 2008

Hi Cristian,

On Apr 1, 2008, at 11:03 AM, Cristian Perfumo wrote:

> I was wondering if it handles per-thread information when you have
> more than one thread involved. (Actually the question is not related
> to the graphical tool, but the announcement triggered it).

The prof2dot tool only knows about the information that is in the
profiling dump file.  IIRC,
cost centers are not associated with threads in this file.  (The
format isn't documented, but
it is not hard to figure out, given a look at the code that generates
it.)

Is recording the thread in which a cost was incurred really helpful?
If it is, I could look into
adding it.  But are you more interested in a graphical representation
of thread execution ---
which threads are executing and when?  You should check if any of the
old
Glasgow Parallel Haskell tools are close to what you want.  If so, it
might be less
work to resurrect one of those.

Best Wishes,
Greg