Version control systems

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sun Aug 10 00:16:25 EDT 2008

Duncan Coutts:
> On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 15:46 +1000, Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:
>
>> Raising the bar for developers to contribute to a project has been
>> proven to be a very bad idea many times.  Let's not take GHC down
>> that
>> path.
>
> I don't especially relish having to learn another vcs tool or raising
> the bar for contributions to Cabal either (we have lots of people who
> make small one-off contributions).

I don't think it matters what vcs Cabal uses.  GHC does already for a
while use a separate repo for its version of Cabal, and the GHC Cabal
repo needs to be explicitly updated to ensure that changes to Cabal do
not randomly break GHC.  To be honest, if I had to say anything, I
would say that GHC has to uses fixed, stable versions of Cabal (like
it does of gmp).  So, it really doesn't matter what vcs Cabal uses.

A completely different matter are libraries like base which are deeply
connected to GHC.

Manuel