Version control systems

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Mon Aug 11 06:38:16 EDT 2008

Thomas Schilling wrote:

> (I am also no longer convinced that Darcs'
> automatic patch dependency calculations are
> actually a good idea.  Just because two patches
> don't touch the same files, doesn't mean they
> aren't semantically dependent.  Take for
> example "monadification" patches, which are
> typically submitted split up for each file.
> A branch captures those dependencies just fine.)

But the darcs approach to dependency is what underlies cherry-picking,
which many people consider the most worthwhile feature of darcs. In fact
many people would like it to be possible to override even the
dependencies that darcs *does* find to cherry-pick patch A without patch
B that A depends on, at the expense of producing a conflict that then
has to be fixed up by hand.

Ganesh