Version control systems

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 04:54:32 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 2:46 AM, Manuel M T Chakravarty
<chak at cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
> Ian Lynagh:
> Having two vcs for one project is bad.  One reason to switch to git (I am
> told) is that people had problems with darcs on some platforms (windows and
> Solaris, for example).  How is that going to be any better if part of the
> project is still in darcs?  So, can we please make up our mind?  If darcs
> has problems on some platforms, then we should not use darcs at all for ghc.
>  If darcs does not have problems on some platforms, then there is one less
> reason to switch.

I switched all my Haskell projects over to Git, as a developer on
Linux, is that I wasted way too much time fighting with Darcs that I
should have spent programming. It's way too slow. I've run in to
exponential merges with only two developers commiting to the same
repository. It randomly freezes -- exponential merge, general
sluggishness, who knows! -- or crashes. And merging, perhaps the most
important operation in a DVCS, is a pain. I don't trust Darcs to keep
my source code safe anymore.

Cheers,

Johan