Version control systems

Matthias Kilian kili at outback.escape.de
Wed Aug 13 15:22:02 EDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 09:03:34AM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
> >Yes, it relies only on the Cabal metadata, but the output is a
> >Makefile only useful for building GHC.
>
> Ok, this statement is plainly not true, since I can use 'cabal makefile'
> to build any package outside of the GHC build tree.  So perhaps I've
> misunderstood your point?

No, I was confused (a little bit over-worked).

> >$ ./Setup mkmetadata -prefix foo-
> >
> >which just produces some simple variable declarations like
> >
> >	foo-impl-ghc-build-depends = rts
> >	foo-impl-ghc-exposed-modules = Data.Generics Data.Generics.Aliases
[...]
> Yes, we could use this to implement GHC's build system.  It's somewhat
> similar to the scheme I suggested in the other thread, but more generic.
>  I'd be completely happy to do it this way if the functionality would
> be useful to others outside GHC too.

I've a little bit spare time from august 25th to august 31th.  This
should be enough time for implementing it (in Cabal and in the GHC
build system) to see how it feels.

Ciao,
	Kili

--
CRM114 isn't ugly like PERL.  It's a whole different kind of ugly.
		-- John Bowker