Version control systems

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 15 11:09:55 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 4:38 PM, Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li> wrote:
> One way that it is worse is that you will get a lot more "automatic
> merge" commits when you pull changes from the central repo into a repo
> in which you have local commits. I don't think that there is anything
> bad about these, as such; they're just noise in the history. (I'm not
> sure if it's possible to automatically rebase these away, or
> something?).

This is the use case for "git pull --rebase".  Instead of creating an
automatic merge commit, it rebases your local changes on top of the
newly pulled changes (ignoring patches already present, which could
happen if you had sent one change as a patch via mail.)

The timestamp issue seems tricky, though.