"dataflow rewriting engine"

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Tue Aug 26 20:25:56 EDT 2008

Deborah Goldsmith:
> Has there been any thought about working with the LLVM project? I
> didn't find anything on the wiki along those lines.

I have only had a rather brief look at LLVM, but my understanding at
the moment is that LLVM would not be able to support one of GHC's
current code layout optimisations.  More precisely, with LLVM, it
would not be possible to enforce that the meta data for a closure is
placed right before (in terms of layout in the address space) the code
executing the "eval" method of that same closure.  GHC uses that to
have the closure code pointer point directly to the "eval" code (and
hence also by an appropriate offset) to the various fields of the meta
data.  If that layout cannot be ensured, GHC needs to take one more
indirection to execute "evals" (which is a very frequent operation) -
this is what an unregistered build does btw.

However, I am not convinced that this layout optimisation is really
gaining that much extra performance these days.  In particular, since
dynamic pointer tagging, very short running "evals" (for which the
extra indirection incurs the largest overhead) have become less
frequent.  Even if there is a slight performance regression, I think,
it would be worthwhile to consider giving up on the described layout
constraint.  It is the Last Quirk that keeps GHC from using standard
compiler back-ends (such as LLVM), and I suspect, it is not worth it
anymore.

When we discussed this last, Simon Marlow planned to run benchmarks to
determine how much performance the layout optimisation gains us these
days.  Simon, did you ever get around to that?

Manuel