ghci and user private groups

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 2 18:39:45 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 10:25 -0800, Jason Dusek wrote:

>   I appreciate what you guys are trying to do, but I at the very
>   least, it should be permitted to use a GHCi that is group
>   readable/writable as long as the group name and user name are
>   the same.

Hmm. That's a convention but it doesn't have any particular semantics in
unix security.

If it really is only you in that group then why does it need to be group
writable? Isn't that the simple workaround?

>   It would be preferable, however, to do away with the
>   restriction altogether.

I'm not sure they can do away with it completely. The problem of course
is that some other user could drop a .ghci file and run arbitrary IO
actions as you.

Duncan