unique identifiers as a separate library

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 16:56:50 EST 2008

Hi,
Sigh.  I think that Isaac is quite right.  Even though I think that it
would be quite rare for multiple threads to share the same name supply
in practise, I would really rather have safe code and not have to
think about it.  So... I have reverted to the non-dupable versions by
default.  I also added an "unsafeNewIntSupply" that uses that dupable
primitives, for those who like living on the edge :)   Thanks to
Sebastian for the bench marking program!   The performance numbers for
the current version on hackage (0.4) are as follows:

With safe primitives value-supply is about 7 times slower, with the
unsafe ones it is about 2 times slower (a bit less actually).  Even
though this seems like a big difference, the actual time it takes to
generate names is very small:  I have to generate about 10 million
names to get reliable measurements, so I am not sure if the difference
matters in practise.

If anyone has further ideas, please chime in.

-Iavor