Array.ST is not being nice to me

Robert van Herk robert.van.herk at philips.com
Sat Feb 9 11:14:33 EST 2008

Hi all,

> >> So my theory now is:
> >> I do a large number of lookups.
> >
> > Try using Data.Array.Base.unsafeRead (and maybe
> > ata.Array.Base.unsafeWrite). These avoid the bounds checking on the
> > index each time you lookup something in the array.
>
> Right.  Also keep an eye on the GC time (+RTS -sstderr) if you're using
> boxed mutable arrays - we don't do card-marking, so GC is pretty
> sub-optimal when it comes to large mutable boxed arrays.  Decreasing the
> number of GCs with +RTS -A<big> can help if you're suffereing from this -

> but always try with and without, sometimes it makes things worse by
making
> less effective use of the L2 cache.

Thanks for you advice.

I changed all the reads to unsafeReads and all the writes to unsafeWrites.
That indeed sped up things a bit (about 10 percent on the total running
time).

I also checked the GC time, but that is (only) 30% of the total running
time.

So still, the program with ST array is about 3 times slower than the
program with Data.Map.

Also, the function lookupEq that looks up the states of the equations from
the array, is responsible for 20% of the running time, and 19% of the
allocated memory. I would say that is should allocate almost no memory:

lookupEq :: Int -> MyMonad (Maybe EquationState)
lookupEq cid =
  do s <- get
     mEs <- lift $ unsafeRead s cid
     return mEs

type MyMonad a = forall s2. StateT (Eqns s2) (ST s2) a
type Eqns s2 = STArray s2 Int (Maybe EquationState)

data EquationState = EQS {cDefinition::Equation, usedBy::Map.Map Int (),
...}

How can it be the lookupEq allocates memory? Is is not that, because of
some tricky strictness/lazyness thing about ST array, unsafeRead causes the
element that is read from the array to be copied in memory?

Regards,
Robert