H98 Text IO

Roman Leshchinskiy rl at cse.unsw.edu.au
Tue Feb 26 08:31:43 EST 2008

Duncan Coutts wrote:

> So here is a concrete proposal:
>
>       * Haskell98 file IO should always use UTF-8.
>       * Haskell98 IO to terminals should use the current locale
>         encoding.

Personally, I'd find this deeply surprising. I don't care that much what
locale gets used for I/O (if it matters, you have to deal with it
explicitly anyway) as long as it is consistent. I'm probably mistaken,
but doesn't this proposal mean that I can't implement cat in H98 using
text I/O? That would be a bit disturbing.

Also, would this affect the encoding used for file names? If so, how?

Roman