Redefining built in syntax

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 09:47:18 EST 2008

Hi

> I don't think we'd ever thought of doing this.  In particular, I don't think we'd every considered using GHCi in combination with -package-name.
>
> The immediate problem is that GHCi looks for the value "System.IO.stdout" so that it can use it to print things, and it can't find module System.IO, I think because you've overridden the base-package binding.
>

> Do you have to use GHCi for this stuff?  It's delicate, because GHCi prints things, but you want to compile the very functions it is using to do the printing...

I think in consultation with Tim (many thanks!) I've figured out why
things aren't working, and how I can lightly hack around the problem.
The first issue seems to be that I'm trying to compile modules from
the base library source against preinstalled versions, not versions
I've built myself - meaning I lack .hi-boot files. The second issue
seems to concern various flags and meanings of flags.

What I'm doing is clearly well beyond anything that was ever
contemplated, but is working near enough that I can use it to do the
next stages. Once I have everything a bit more stabalised, I'll post
up my code and my intentions and try and classify the exact issues I
am running into.

Thanks

Neil