bindist for Intel MacOS X 10.4 (Tiger) with static libs

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 05:21:24 EST 2008

Hello Yitzchak,

>>> "Readline is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU General
>>> Public License, version 2.

>> in short, that means that software compiled with this compiler AND
>> distributed to general audience, should have GPL-compatible license
>> (i.e. GPL or BSD-like)
>> (as far as i understand GPL/LGPL terms)

> Any software compiled with this compiler, or only
> software that uses System.Console.Readline?

any software that links with readline.a or gmp.a. which actually means
every program because even if you don't use GMP, it's probably still
linked in

> Isn't this the same on all platforms? If what you are
> saying is correct, then isn't it required for any program
> compiled with any readline-enabled GHC to have a
> GPL-compatible license? I don't think that's
> right, but IANAL.

GPL license means that any program that uses readline functionality
should be *distributed* on GPL-compatible license. are you ever hear
how GPL infects computer programs? :)

you may also use it for in-house development, without distribution

for me, GMP is much more problematic issue. strictly speaking, we
can't say that GHC is BSD-licensed because it includes LGPL-licensed
code (and that much worse, it includes this code in run-time libs)

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com