Integrating editline with ghc

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Tue Jan 22 06:40:50 EST 2008

Christian Maeder wrote:
>>> Where are the users that use the functionality not supported by
>>> editline's emulation layer? (Shout now or be quiet ever after)

> I only wanted to find out which user group would need to change readline
>  to editline and (if following my suggestion) which group readline to
> GPL-readline in cabal files, and which of the two user groups is bigger.
>
> Since it's not clear yet, what portion of readline can be emulated by
> editline this is difficult to estimate.

It is always impossible to estimate this, because users are not
required to register anyplace, and they are not required to read this
or any other discussion list.

We should not cause people's programs to break silently by
changing a fundamental API, unless there is no alternative.
In this case there is a reasonable alternative. Anyone who wants
to change over to editline - native or readline-compatible - can
easily do so, at their leisure. Anyone who wants things to stay
the way they are can do nothing.

Do you see any problem with that approach?

I think that in most cases, people are happy with readline and
will not need to change. Nevertheless, making editline available
in this way is critically important, because certain projects
are difficult or impossible without it. And of course, it's a great
improvement for the Mac platform. So your work on this
is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Yitz