Retainer profiling -- too slow?

Tim Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 22:00:09 EDT 2008

Hi all,

Are there any known problems with retainer profiling in GHC 6.8.2? I
have a program that takes 3 minutes to run with "normal" profiling
enabled (+RTS -P -RTS), but with +RTS -P -hr -RTS, it's 20 minutes and
counting. I can tell that progress is being made since the .hp file
keeps getting bigger, but that seems like a lot of overhead.

I can try to come up with a smaller test case if necessary; just
wanted to see if there's any known problem.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Chevalier * http://cs.pdx.edu/~tjc * Often in error, never in doubt
"The trouble with academia is that there's a lot of 'If you'll