Build system woes

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 30 10:27:41 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 14:46 +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:

> > I don't think I understand how GHC itself is built any longer, either.
> > What does cabal-bin do?
>
> It's effectively a pre-compiled Setup.hs for packages that have no need for
> a custom Setup.hs.  cabal-install does the same job for end-users, but we
> can't rely on having cabal-install in the GHC build system.

The point being that linking default Setup.hs scripts all the time is a
waste (especially since it doesn't parallelise).

> > What is runghc.wrapper?
>
> it's a template used to make a shell wrapper for a binary.  There seems to
> be new functionality in Cabal to support this.

Ian added this the other day. I can't say I understand it yet or if it's
generally applicable to all packages. Obviously the intention is to
allow relocatable binaries on unix systems by using wrapper scripts.

Duncan