*BSD support in 6.8.3

Donn Cave donn at avvanta.com
Tue Jun 3 16:31:16 EDT 2008

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 09:36:41 +0100
Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:

> Donn Cave wrote:
> > 20080531 and NetBSD-amd64 4.0, not so good:
> >
> >    GHCi, version 6.8.2.20080531: http://www.haskell.org/ghc/  :? for help
> >    Bad system call (core dumped)
> >
> > SIGSYS appears to happen in select(), is all I could get out of gdb.  Prior
> > to the patch, it was the usual error.
>
> I guess the error in the linker was masking the SIGSYS in select(), because
> it occurred first.  So now we need to figure out what is causing this SIGSYS.

Well, good news and bad news.  The patch works - this was indeed
a different problem, and with that out of the way ghci comes up
and works well enough to pass some randomly selected tests from a
testsuite - ghci, rts.  This is 20080531 plus patch 2013.

The SIGSYS problem is an awkward issue between GHC and NetBSD,
which I see has already been reported, #2305.  C code compiled
from /usr/include/signal.h links to __sigprocmask14, but
libraries/base/System/Posix/Internals.hs links to sigprocmask
because it misses out on the __RENAME magic in signal.h.  That's
a compatibility function that doesn't work out so well for ghci.
I will take this up with the NetBSD ghc package maintainer.  At
worst, we can just hard-code the (incompatibility?) function names.

thanks,

--
Donn Cave <donn at avvanta.com>