-fvia-C for libHSbase, etc.?

Donn Cave donn at avvanta.com
Wed Jun 4 21:10:55 EDT 2008

I'm building GHC on NetBSD-amd64, and among other things
need to deal with the problem described in #2305 - native
code misses the __RENAME (__asm) directive in NetBSD include
files, and ends up linking to the wrong externals.  The
author of #2305 reports that -fvia-C avoids this problem, so
I built the ghc 5/31 distribution I've been working on, with

   GhcLibHcOpts=-O -Rghc-timing -fgenerics -fvia-C

(i.e., add -fvia-C compile option for library build.)

Does that seem like a reasonable solution?  It does seem to
work, but I'm wondering if there are issues we can expect
with performance etc.?

thanks,

--
Donn Cave <donn at avvanta.com>