Rebuilding ghc

Tim Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 17:57:27 EDT 2008

On 6/10/08, Dominic Steinitz <dominic.steinitz at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> I've built ghc previously and I assumed to keep it up to date I just did
>
>  darcs pull
>
>  followed by
>
>  make
>
>  but I got errors and according to the rebuilding instructions
>  http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Rebuilding I shouldn't
>  have done that.
>
>  I therefore followed the instructions but got the following error.

It's probably best to do a "make distclean" at this point, then follow
the building instructions.

> By
>  the way darcs-pull all seemed to require a lot of manual intervention.
>  Is there a way of getting the latest patches automatically and building
>  overnight without intervention?

./darcs-all pull -a will pull all patches without prompting you to ask
whether you want to pull each patch, if that's what you mean. The
following should pull patches and rebuild everything without manual
intervention:

./darcs-all pull -a; sh boot; ./configure; make

but YMMV.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Chevalier * http://cs.pdx.edu/~tjc * Often in error, never in doubt
"Aristotle maintained that women have fewer teeth than men; although