Haddock, .lhs, and GHC

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jun 16 04:57:43 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 07:38 +0200, Johannes Waldmann wrote:

> > Does this mean that literate source files should be discouraged?  They
> > seem to be fairly common, especially in conjunction with Cabal (i.e.,
> > Setup.lhs).
>
> I think the reason for having Setup.lhs instead of Setup.hs
> is that you can put #!/usr/local/bin/runhaskell
> in their first line. Then  chmod +x Setup.lhs
> and you can do   ./Setup.lhs configure   etc.
> So, this has nothing to do with literate programming.

And it's really more trouble than it's worth, IMHO.

runghc Setup

is the better recommendation I think because it works for .hs or .lhs
and it works on operating systems with no concept of #! or chmod.

So with that the recommendation then the simplest possible Setup script
is: Setup.hs:
import Distribution.Simple
main = defaultMain

Duncan