6.8.3 against DoCon

Serge D. Mechveliani mechvel at botik.ru
Wed Jun 18 08:39:57 EDT 2008

Dear GHC developers,

I wonder whether ghc-6.8.3 is better than 6.8.2.

Because  6.8.2  makes  DoCon-2.11  under  -M400m.
And      6.8.3  does not suffice  -M500m.
It breaks with the heap exhaustion at the module RsePol_.

Moreover, repeated  make docon

again breaks with the heap exhaustion for -M500m.
So this memory is spent to compile a single current module.

The last (difficult) module is  RsePol_.
And `make' is slower than in 6.8.2, at least at this module.

I do not believe that a reasonable compiler may need more than
500 Mb for compiling this poor  RsePol_.

Second,
for the  candidate version  I reported to the e-mail lists the two
problems. The second one was about this memory and time strangeness
in compiling  RsePol_.
Now, you issue an official release, without even considering the
second problem.

I do not know, maybe this  RsePol_  is somehow too irregular (with
overlapping instance, etc.), maybe, DoCon is guilty.

But as  ghc-6.8.2  handles DoCon all right, why do not you
investigate this difference in  6.8.3 ?

Actually, ghc-6.8.3 does not support DoCon. I wonder what to do.

Regards,

Serge Mechveliani
mechvel at botik.ru