Default class method inlining bug (wasn't this fixed?)

Scott Dillard sedillard at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jun 18 12:46:23 EDT 2008

Something strange happened and the body of my previous email was lost. I've
re-sent it here. The attachments are there.

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/glasgow-haskell-users/2008-June/014973.html

=====

Hi,

I'm seeing the following bug revived in 6.8.2 and 6.8.3:

I use a default definition for class method, one that calls methods of
dependent (super?) classes. Of course I'm embarrassed it took me so long to
realize I didn't _need_ the class in the first place, I could just write a
plain polymorphic function that calls those methods. Regardless, looks like
a bug to me.

Two files are attached, Test.hs and Vec.hs. Search for "BUG IS HERE" in
Test.hs. There is a class and an instance declaration. Compile as-is to see
the correct result. Comment out the method definition in the instance
declaration to see the bug.

If someone confirms, I'll open a ticket.

Scott