-O in 6.8.3

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 11:21:37 EDT 2008

Serge D. Mechveliani wrote:

> What is the difference between ghc-6.8.2 and ghc-6.8.3 ?

Compile times were improved by 4.3% over the nofib suite between 6.8.2 and
6.8.3.  Code size was unaffected (down 0.2%).  Runtime and allocation were
also about the same.

That's not to say that we don't believe you - we know for sure that DoCon
is experiencing a regression with 6.8.3.  However, we looked into it and
decided to release despite this regression for two reasons - it wasn't
possible to fix it quickly, and we don't believe there's a widespread
regression here.  But any regression is bad, and we'll make it a high
priority to fix this for 6.10.1.

 > But I am not an expert and do not
> see in what point 6.8.3 is better, at least the DoCon performance is
> not greater. I do not know, maybe some bugs are fixed, and a bug fix
> often costs some code increase, and a bug fix is good.

There are 112 ways in which 6.8.3 is better than 6.8.2 :-)

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/query?status=closed&milestone=6.8.3&order=priority