Release plans

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Sun Mar 9 19:24:21 EDT 2008

Hi all,

Here are our plans for the next couple of GHC releases.

First, we intend to release the next version of GHC from the current
stable branch, 6.8.3, around the end of May 2008. This will probably be
the last release from this branch.

We currently have 90 bugs in either the "6.8.3" or "6.8 branch"
milestone, but we do not expect that we will have time to fix them all!
So please take a few minutes to take a look through the list, and if
there are any that are particularly important to you please:

* add a comment to the bug report saying why it is important to you.
  It is not necessary to also send us a mail, as we get the comments
  e-mailed to us automatically.

* add yourself to the CC list for the bug (we use this to get a count
  of the number of people interested in a bug).

This will help us to make a release that fixes as many problems, for as
many people, as possible.

The list is here:

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&milestone=6.8.3&milestone=6.8+branch&order=priority

After that, around ICFP (late September 2008) we plan to make the first
release, 6.10.1, from the next stable branch, 6.10. There will be more
information on what exciting changes this will bring closer to the time.

Thanks
Ian, on behalf of the GHC team