Experiment: ghc-api and --split-objs

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Tue May 20 03:54:10 EDT 2008

Bertram Felgenhauer wrote:

> I've made an experiment compiling ghc-api with --split-objs. To
> summarize, while this is not worthwhile for the compiler itself,
> it could be a huge win for plugin libraries.
>
> A fairly detailed description can be found here,
>   http://int-e.home.tlink.de/haskell/README.ghc-api-test
>
> A tarball with the examples and auxiliary files is at
>   http://int-e.home.tlink.de/haskell/ghc-api-test.tar.bz2
>
> Open questions:
> - How much work would it to do this within the ghc build?
> - Maybe users that only need the parser can win as well? Haddock
>   comes to mind here.
>
> In any case, this is food for thought, I hope.

I hope that for 6.10 we'll have shared libraries working on the major
platforms, so split-objs should be a non-issue.  For platforms where we
don't have shared libraries, or perhaps if we want to have static-only
distributions, then probably enabling split-objs for stage 2 would be a
good idea, yes.