ghci Problem

Dominic Steinitz dominic.steinitz at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon May 26 04:54:23 EDT 2008

Johannes Waldmann wrote:
> Dominic Steinitz wrote:
>
>> I've built ghc and installed it but when I run ghci e.g. the up arrow
>> keys don't work :-( Can someone let me know what I've done wrong and how
>> to fix it? Thanks, Dominic.
>
> sounds like missing readline package during configure
>
> be warned - there have been endless discussions on readline
> (because of licensing issues).
>
> best regards, Johannes.

Johannes,

Thanks for the reply and I'm sure you are right but I'm still stuck with
knowing what to do about it.

I think I have a readline:

> dom at lagrange:~/ghc> ls /usr/include/readline/
> chardefs.h  keymaps.h   rlconf.h  rltypedefs.h
> history.h   readline.h  rlstdc.h  tilde.h

I couldn't see anywhere on
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Hacking where it
mentioned readline.

Ok I can see in config.log that I don't have editline. That sounds very
suspicious. Mind you I'm not sure where to get it from for opensuse.
I'll have a hunt around.

Dominic.