*BSD support in 6.8.3

Donn Cave donn at avvanta.com
Thu May 29 11:15:40 EDT 2008

On Thu, 29 May 2008 11:56:59 +0000 (UTC)
"Wilhelm B. Kloke" <wb at arb-phys.uni-dortmund.de> wrote:

> Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> schrieb:

> >   - it has a couple of wired-in addresses: one place to load object files,
> >     another to put jump tables at.  This is necessary because *BSD doesn't
> >     have the MAP_32BIT flag for mmap().  However, the particular wired-in
> >     addresses needed will probably vary on the different *BSDs.  Someone
> >     needs to look at the memory map and make sure we're picking sensible
> >     addresses.
>
> It is not very likely that the adresses change between *BSDs because
> they are resulting from simple hardware-related constraints. Though,
> a test is necessary.

I have made some progress with NetBSD-amd64, now I'm working on stage2
of 6.8.2.  So there's some hope that I may be able to look at this issue
on that platform.  (It's going pretty slow, though - lucky I got laid off
last week and I have a 1.8 Ghz computer with nearly empty hard disk to
work with, or building GHC would be just about out of the question!)

But I noticed that, in Linker.c, NetBSD doesn't configure USE_MMAP -
whatever the hardware platform.  I don't know if that's just by neglect,
but if I don't use mmap(), then support for MAP_32BIT is no concern?

--
Donn Cave <donn at avvanta.com>