Bug in GHC6.10.1?

Mitchell, Neil neil.mitchell.2 at credit-suisse.com
Fri Nov 14 09:43:45 EST 2008

Hi,

Floating point numbers are just inaccurate, so the results you see aren't too surprisingly.

Interestingly enough, using Hugs, I get the right answer in both cases - so its possible it's a bug, but unlikely.

If you do want exact floating point manipulation then use rational numbers instead, for example:

> 3.0 * 0.2 :: Rational
3%5

Which should be read as a fraction, 3/5, which is the right answer.

Thanks

Neil