Making GHC work on BSD

Matthias Kilian kili at outback.escape.de
Tue Sep 9 15:03:18 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 03:00:59PM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
> >Is this a change from 6.8.3?  NetBSD currently provides 6.8.3 as an
> >optional package for NetBSD/i386 4.0, with ghci included and without
> >any mmap patches as far as I know.  It was also working for me on
> >NetBSD/amd64 (which is the platform that would actually need MAP_32BIT?)
>
> Yes, the code changed in the HEAD, and currently uses mremap(), which only
> exists on Linux.  We need similar hacks that were done in 6.8.3 to get the
> BSDs to work, that is to allocate memory from some predefined address in
> the lower 2Gb of the address space.

BTW: are there any big plans[tm] to replace all this OS specific
hacks by something like dlopen(3) and friends for GHC 6.12? I really
don't want to hack on Linker.c just to be see that hacking obsoleted
in a year ;-)

Ciao,
	Kili

--
This email is ROT26 encrypted, by reading it you are in violation of the
DMCA, and should turn yourself in to the authorities immediately.