GADT problems

Mitchell, Neil neil.mitchell.2 at credit-suisse.com
Mon Sep 15 12:22:46 EDT 2008

> Ah -- you used an *existential* there!  Yes,
> existentially-bound type variables are rigid.  They stand for
> themselves, as it were.

> How should this be clarified?

I'd leave it. I wanted a simple set of rules stating "_if_ you provide
the following type signatures your code _will_ compile", which is what
you currently provide, albeit I interpreted 'result' slightly
differently. If people want to learn where these type signatures can be
omitted (because a type is already rigid) people can follow the papers,
or learn by trial and error.

Thanks

Neil